Dear Tourists:
I am one of you. I, too, have been wandering this small island town in a nerdy backpack and chacos. I feel your pain. I AM your pain. But there is a way to not be a total jerk while being a nerdy tourist who stands out in a crowd. Let me explain. No, it is too long, let me sum up: when a local who is carrying a heavy load and clearly trying to get into the door that you are blocking with your frame backpack and outsider attitude, the proper thing to do is MOVE AWAY. Do not stand there like a terrified fawn wondering what could possibly be going on that would involve LITTLE OLD YOU?!?!? It is called taking very clear and strong social cues, friend. I suggest you take a course.
Live long and prosper, oh sunglassed one,
Irene
Monday, August 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Tourist,
ReplyDeleteI am happy that you enjoy the beauty and decadence of my tourist-destination neighborhood. But, there is something that I think we need to talk about.
Please refrain from drunken shouts of "woooooo!!!!" in the middle of the night when I am trying to sleep. I know that Lynyrd Skynyrd song is awesome, and I know you get so excited when you've got a few Miller High Lifes in you (I know I do). But I need to go to work in the morning. Please, however, feel free to shout "wooooo!!!!" in front of your double-wide trailer during barbeques or at church when you are handling snakes.
Sincerely,
Alex